Friday, January 29, 2016

Pattern Test: The Simple Life Pattern Co.'s Braxton's Blazer!

It's been a year since The Simple Life Pattern Company (SLPCo) released it's first set of patterns! I've been testing with them from day one, & have enjoyed seeing each new design they come up with. Katie & Laura, the two main designers, do a wonderful job creating classic, modern designs that my girls love. I'd say at least half our current wardrobe is SLPCo.

My first pattern test of 2016 for SLPCo was Braxton's Blazer. When Katie gave us a sneak peek of the pattern back around the holidays, I fell in love with the narrow, tulip back design. It was such a unique opening & I had not seen anything else like it. The pattern also has an open back option as well, which would look lovely for the older tween set. The sleeves come in 3/4 length, regular length, & a longer cuffed length & there is also an optional ruffle to jazz up the front of the blazer if you'd like. Bonus part is that it is completely reversible!

I picked the 5T, my youngest's size to test. She is my no-frills child, so I opted to go with the narrow, tulip back, regular sleeve length, & no ruffle. The pattern featured woven fabric, but since it is winter here in MN, I wanted to pick a little heavier fabric to keep us warmer. I ended up going with a tribal print corduroy that I found on clearance at Hobby Lobby (SCORE!) & lined it inside with flannel. Both fabrics worked wonderfully!

The pattern sews up super fast! I probably spent more time cutting out the pattern pieces & fussy cutting the blazer pieces than I did sewing. Overall time spent working on this version was probably 2-3 hours.



So yes, I haven't figured out how to take indoor pictures. Our house get such poor light in the winter! I did get a new lens for Christmas, the 35mm f/1.8, which has helped a little. Much better than the lens kit that came with my Nikon.

But this is the fit on my youngest. Sleeve length is perfect--hits right at the waist as is the overall length, which hits just below the hip. There's enough room to layer as well.


Re-took pics another day when we had some sunlight! My original model was not being so cooperative, so I had to employ big sis as her substitute. ;) Thankfully, they are close to the same size (B's about 2" taller) so I can usually get away with her modeling a smaller size. But, you can see here what I mean about fussy cutting the pieces. I had to line up the back just right with the tribal print so it looked continuous vs. staggered & uneven!


Looks great layered over a dress too! My youngest is obsessed with this blazer. She attempts to wear it every day & I have to hide it just so I can throw it in the wash. I guess this means I have to make a few more for her & perhaps a matching one for big sis. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment