Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Save the Date! Handmade Designers Group Spring Showcase on February 9, 2016!

I belong in the Handmade Designers' Group, which features several other talented clothing & accessory designers. Every season, we design a few limited edition pieces for pre-order. For example, this past winter, I designed this classic red, black, & ivory dress with a burnout lace layering top.

Alba dress pattern by Violette Field Threads.
Bella's bubble sleeve layering top pattern by Greenstyle Creations.

Close-up of the layering top.


With pre-order items, I tend to use patterns I am very familiar with, AKA, my girls' favorites. For this spring showcase, I opted to use the Simple Life Pattern Co.'s Ayda & Bella patterns in pretty pastel colors.

My first dress is the Pretty in Pink Ayda dress. Isn't this pattern just lovely? Since my Tanya Whelan pink floral fabric was so beautiful, I opted not to do anything that would be overwhelming. I chose to make the sleeveless, modest back bodice, circle skirt version of the dress, but added some eyelet lace to the back bodice & hemline. Now, that was some fun math there! You get so much bang for your buck with this pattern. There are many other options--a top length, sleeve options (ruffled flutter sleeves, short, 3/4, or long), a gathered skirt, as well as a tutorial on how to add a sash & double skirt.




I just love how the circle skirt flares out so beautifully! Check out all that lace!


Close-up of the modest v-back bodice with the eyelet lace trim.


And of course, a TWIRL shot of the circle skirt!


Next up, is the Spring Bouquet Bella dress. I finally cut into one of my favorite fabric lines of all time, Bari J.'s Emmy Grace. I've been hoarding this fabric for a while waiting for the perfect pattern! Bella comes in a dress & maxi length. There is a simple version (no ruffle) & several unique strap options (straight spaghetti straps, v-back straps, & a combination of the two). An elasticized back bodice ensures a perfect fit.


For the spring showcase, I chose the ruffle dress version with the combo straps. Like my Ayda dress, I wanted to highlight the fabric & just add a few embellishments to make it stand-out.


One feature I did was use floral lace for the straps instead of bias cut fabric.


I added some 1/2" pintucks to the front of my bodice & a little button accent. Again, that took some finagling with math since it's not an option provided in the pattern. 

As a side note, I took this picture, which is why it looks different from the other ones!




Hope to see you at the showcase on Sunday, February 9th! If you love the matching floral halos featured with the Ayda & Bella dresses, please check out Little Lady Accessories! Mandy makes the most gorgeous hair accessories & can match anything. Thank you also to my wonderful models & their moms for the beautiful photos!

XOXO, Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment